Think about how you talk about a liberal arts education.
- When you discuss a liberal arts education with your students, advisees, and colleagues, what disciplines do you talk about?
- Do you explicitly include the STEM disciplines and their role in the liberal arts?
Think back to your own college experiences.
- What inspired you to pursue your field of study?
- What type of institution did you attend?
- What surprises or obstacles did you encounter as you began your college career?
- How were you encouraged or helped in overcoming those obstacles?
- What type of peer network did you have?
- How much individual contact did you have with faculty?
- Who did you turn to when you needed encouragement or support in general?
- What aspects of the type of educational system you experienced would help your current students succeed?
- What aspects would likely turn your students away from your field, particularly those of you in the STEM disciplines?
- What types of obstacles do you observe your students facing that may be different than what you and your peers faced?